Sunday, September 13, 2009

Day 20: Gaba Pindasana

That's right. Gaba Pindasana. I finally was able to bind in Supta Kurmasana. This is how it happened. Tom was in the bedroom keeping an eye on sleeping Eevory so I asked if he would come out and help me bind. I had just finished explaining how to assist me when Eevory woke up. He left to tend to her, but I was still determined to do it today. I sat up, put one leg over my shoulder and wedged my foot behind my neck, then the other. I wiggled my body through my legs as far as possible, then slowly, very slowly, lowered myself down. For the first time I was able to keep my legs back. I wrapped my arms around and touched fingertips, curled my fingers into a tiny grasp.

I figured that was good enough so I gave myself a new posture. Ha! Gaba Pindasana. Good thing I don't know any hard core traditional ashtangis or they'd probably be scandalized. Giving yourself postures. What sacrilege!

My friend Kristina came by to visit today. I haven't seen her in years so I was super excited. She's teaching at a few yoga studios in town. In addition to being an amazing person, she's one of the best yoga teachers I know. Austin is lucky to have her back. If you're looking for a good teacher, check out her classes.

After spending a couple of hours talking to Kristina, I was energized about my practice. Just being in the room with her inspires me to practice yoga and not just the asanas. She makes me want to live the full eight limbed experience.

Tom, husband and Dada extraordinaire, rocked both girls to sleep so that I could go to my class, but I was feeling so strong that I wanted to do a home practice. I've never wanted to do a home practice before. Also, I knew if I practiced at home I could get Tom to help me with my drop backs, which he did quite skillfully.

I need to buy a new practice rug. I want one of those thin ones from Mysore with the high thread count. As opposed to the last one that I had from barefoot yoga. If anyone can recommend a good source, please comment.

5 comments:

  1. It was great to see you yesterday morning, Jen. Sorry if you weren't prepared to hear that you were being blog-stalked by someone from elementary school. :)

    Kristina was the first yoga teacher I ever had, and I fully credit her with my love for yoga. I haven't seen her since she's been back, but I really need to take the time to do so.

    You asked about my blog.. my normal one is here:
    http://shubbe.livejournal.com
    and my workout log, which gets much more of my attention, here:
    http://shublog.livejournal.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think it's criminal to give yourself poses BACK. Since you had them before. You know when your body is ready. And congrats to you in the first place. You've only been back a short while and supta k is a toughie! That's muscle memory for you!
    Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't help you at all with those drop backs- I just spotted you. I was just there for safety. You did them all by yourself.

    Also, it is always super hot watching you yoga. You want a new rug? Done. Show me which one you want.

    ReplyDelete
  4. yeah, you're not giving yourself poses, you're getting them back... totally agree with that point. The "rules" are only for mysore rooms anyway, when you're at home, it's a free for all!

    I think that's pretty fast progress to be binding with your legs behind your head on day 20!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Amy! It was great to see you, too. Thanks for sending me your blogs. I'm really enjoying your running journal. Running seems like it must be an incredible meditative practice. All the distance runners I know seem like really grounded people.

    Hi Sophia and Liz! Thanks for the encouragement! I often think of the different Mysore teachers that I know and wonder where they would stop me as I'm practicing. I often wonder, am I stopping myself here because I'm lazy? I'm I pushing myself further because of my ego? Probably yes and yes. I guess that's a benefit of going to a regular Mysore class - I wouldn't have to make the decisions!

    Thank you, Tommy! You are the best husband ever!

    ReplyDelete