Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Day 23: Ritual

I need routine. I feel more comfortable, safer when I have my routines. I think this is one of the reasons that I'm drawn to Ashtanga. It's the same sequence every time. I always know what to expect. No matter where I go, anywhere in the world, the practice will be the same. I like this.

I have a new routine in the morning. I wake up, asana practice (Ashtanga primary), meditation (Kundalini Sat Kriya), prepare dinner then throw it in the slow cooker. I love my new routine. Chopping vegetables feels like a continuation of my meditative practice. Tom says that the room feels serene after I practice. I imagine that I'm imbuing the food with that same calm essence.

(Of course, Como Agua Para Chocolate is one of my favorite movies...)

Years ago I went to a yoga retreat where the cooks would chant as they prepared the meals. Maybe I'll start doing that, too.

oṃ śāntiḥ śāntiḥ śāntiḥ

I'm slow cooking with the enthusiasm of the newly converted. I love leaving the house for a few hours then returning to find the air filled with a delicious aroma. I fantasize about converting favorite recipes for the slow cooker. I love that instead of handing the kids off to Tom the minute he walks in the door so that I can dash into the kitchen and cook dinner, we can relax together as a family.

Nothing much to report about my practice today. I don't feel like I've made much progress in the last few days. I felt physically weaker but mentally stronger. I find that my mind is starting to accept that I'm going to practice no matter what justifications it comes up with for me to quit. As usual, I spent a good part of the practice with my mind fighting to go back to sleep, but maybe a little less adamantly.

2 comments:

  1. um... when you say "slow cooker" is that just a fancier way of saying crock pot? I just gave my unused, totally new from the box, crock pot to my neighbors. I figured if I haven't used it in the last 2 years, it was time to go to another home. But now I'm reading all this business about slow cooking and kind of regretting it!
    (there's always P. Terry's to soothe my woes)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, it's just the generic way of saying Crock-Pot®. They seem to be experiencing a revival of sorts lately. Even All-Clad has a $300 version.

    http://www.williams-sonoma.com/products/8260341/index.cfm?clg=39&bnrid=3180501&cm_ven=Shopping&cm_cat=Froogle&cm_pla=default&cm_ite=default

    If you buy another one, I've heard good things about the cookbook Not Your Mother's Slow Cooker Recipes for Two: For the Small Slow Cooker.

    ReplyDelete