Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Day 9: Good Job, Mama!

My husband, Tom, has strep throat. Consequently, I spent most of the day wondering if I was on the verge of getting sick. All the more reason to practice while I can! I popped plenty of echinacea, if for no other reason than the placebo effect.

After rocking Eevory to sleep, and putting Mia in her room for quiet time, I set up the mat in the hallway to keep an eye on Eevory. Mia knew that I was in the hall, so she kept opening the door to see what I was doing. I balanced my iPhone against a door frame to take these videos.



It was nice having my own cheerleader, but she quickly became bored.



Eevory soon woke up, so she joined Mia behind the baby gate.


Eevory is playing with stuff in a box. I put toys in a box, she takes them out one by one and examines them. Babies love taking things out of boxes. Any toy is infinitely more interesting if it is in a box. Mia still like this activity. She will ask to, "look at stuff." My mother has a box of ornaments from my grandmother's type case that she will let Mia look at. She will put each object out one and a time and oooh and ahhh over it.

I thought I'd have to cut my practice short, but the girls entertained each other. I only had to jump the gate a few times to pry Mia's hair out of Eevory's fists or return a toy snatched from Eevory.

I kept warm enough to bind in Mari D, despite the interruptions, and joined the girls for finishing.  I stopped at Navasana just because I felt like I should. My Navasana is still super shaky and Lolasana just isn't happening.  No progress to report, but it was a fun practice today.

5 comments:

  1. oh my god... video. Those are hilarious! I love how Mia starts to do something (twirl, jump) and you can tell she's thinking, "hey, this is kind of fun, I think I'll keep doing it!". The cheering is awesome.

    One of my secret tricks for home practice is to tell myself I'll only hold postures for 4 breaths, therefore shortening my practice. I usually forget to do it within a posture or so and end up doing the whole deal, no cheating!

    Not a fan of Navasana either. I can do it, but it's boring. ha ha!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi. I found your blog through Liz.
    I just wanted to congratulate you for trying to get back your ashtanga practice after kids. I too have had to restart my practice twice after my last two kids. I have three! I have to admit making it to your mat is the first challenge. But I do have a small bit of advice to share. I know how frustrating it is to try to practice with kids around especially when they are so young but could you try to practice in the morning before they wake up? I don't know how early they get up and if they sleep in cribs, but that is how I managed to get my practice in. Also when you get up before them it starts to become YOUR time. Then you can use their nap time to get in a quick nap yourself!
    This is what worked for me and still does. My kids are a little bigger now and I mange to get to a shala to practice but on the days I can't I'm up at 5:00am getting my practice in.
    Anyway good luck and keep it up. The beginning is always the hardest! Stick with it and it will be amazing again!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sophia's on Jen's blog! wheee!!!

    I don't think Jennifer's kids sleep or nap. And definitely not at the same time! ha ha!! Maybe Jen could get in a 3am practice. ha ha!!!

    You mothers and your super human powers. It boggles my brain.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Liz, I tend to hang out for longer than 5 breaths in the postures because I'm stalling. Oh, please no, not another vinyasa! Oh, was that five breaths? I lost count. Maybe I should do a couple more just to be sure.

    Sophia, you are so right. If I'm going to get serious about my practice, I'm going to have to start getting up before the kids. Eevory used to wake up at five, but she's started to sleep until 6. If she keeps it up, I think I could practice at 5. I really don't want to get up any earlier than that. (Well, I don't want to, but I eventually may have to)

    The seven-month-old is still cosleeping with us, so I'll just need to figure out a way to sneak out of bed at 5 without waking her up. I'll also need to figure out a way to wake myself up without waking her up. She usually can sense when I've left the bed and wakes up howling. I imagine that she is wailing, "I've lost my boob! Where has my boob gone?"

    ReplyDelete
  5. Eevory = "the seven-month-old"

    I realized when I read my comment that was kind of confusing. Mia is the two-year-old and she sleeps in her own room now.

    ReplyDelete